As discussed towards the end of last year, 2018 should be the year of the brokers and asset managers (please watch related ideas below). In this context, and with a dividend yield of 6.36%, BX is probably one of the best asset management pure-plays out there. The trend has been strong on all time frames and the stock is attempting a breakout as we speak. But how to play it in the current top-ish market environment? There is a smarter way than a simple outright buy.
LOOK FOR YIELD AND ENHANCE IT WITH OPTIONS
1. Buy the stock in a half size which makes sense to your strategy or portfolio at $34.91 (last close)
2. Sell one-year $40 OTM CALL and pocket $1.39 (indicative)
3. Sell one-year $32 OTM PUT and pocket $2.66 (indicative)
COMPELLING RISK AND YIELD ANALYSIS
At expiration of the options, in one year, one of the below should happen.
1. The stock is range-bound ($32-40): Stay long the stock and pocket (call premium + put premium + dividend yield) = 3.98% + 7.62% + 6.36% = 17.96%
2. The stock breaks out and trades above $40: Deliver the shares at $40 and pocket (capital gain + dividend yield + call premium + put premium) = 14.58% + 6.36% +3.98% + 7.62% = 32.54%
3. The stock breaks down and trades below $32: Receive the shares and end up with a full position at an average price of $33.45 while you pocket (dividend yield + call premium + put premium) = 6.36% + 3.98% + 7.62% = 17.96%. All the while, you become long one of the best asset managers in the world with an improved dividend yield >10%.
THIS STRATEGY CAN BE ROLLED OUT WITH ANY TIME HORIZON (MONTHLY, QUARTERLY, SEMI-ANUALLY).