QuantumLogicTrading
Short

BREXIT GBP: USE USDJPY AS A RISK-BAROMETER & WAIT FOR LONDON 8AM

FX:GBPUSD   British Pound/U.S. Dollar
5 months ago
Indicators to check BEFORE GBP Shorting for confirmation

I also suggest using two other key pieces of information BEFORE shorting GBP.

1. Use USDJPY             as a measure of market risk appetite and stability

- As you can see below UJ has traded with a tight 38pip range vs GBP$ at 180pips. Therefore we can use UJ as a measure of stability and risk appetite:
1) because of its stability - UJ isn't acting as susceptible to the volatility "noise" - with 4.5x less range; and
2) because as we know UJ is the "safe haven" FX pair which is sold massively when markets are trading risk-off. or risk averse.

- How to use UJ for GBP direction: Assuming UJ is the stable measure of risk (which has been true for the past week) it is fair to ALSO assume:

1) A rise in UJ means increased JPY selling which means there is a stronger risk-on attitude in the market as investors shed "safe yen" - buying GBP in the uncertain BREXIT environment IMO is considered the "risk-on" move - SO we can confirm GBP rallies with a rise in UJ

2) Conversely a fall in UJ means JPY buying, which means investors are seeking risk-off/ safer currency plays - selling GBP in the BREXIT uncertainty environment IMO is considered the "risk-off/ low risk" move - SO we can confirm new GBP shorts with a fall in UJ

*If you believe that the risk-on/ risk-off moves are the other way round e.g. GBP upside is the low risk play - then you can STILL use UJ as the indicator, just the other way around than above.
IMO and logically, GBP lower in this uncertain UK environment is the LOW RISK trade - especially given we traded at 1.46 8wks ago (not much downside is priced at these levels thus GBP moves lower are lower risk)

2. Wait for London open between 8am-10am GMT (4-6 hours from now)

- In these past weeks, the London open has been a key catalyst for GBP direction ESPECIALLY on the Sunday-Monday Asia which over as all of the weekend information is priced in for the biggest FX clients in LDN.

- Therefore it is prudent NOT to take a position until the big money volatility/ fluctuations/ noise is out of the way otherwise SL's may be susceptible to being hit AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, we may misjudge the market direction/ sentiment (given LDN is the largest FX Flow session).

- Several times the market direction and momentum has changed or been confirmed aggressively during the London open 8am-10am GMT so I think this indicator is a vital determinant
5 months ago
Comment: UJ has finally broken the 40pip range to the downside - I think this is a sell signal for GBP and especially GU, as UJ falling means risk-off buying and GBP downside IMO is the risk-off positioning for BREXIT uncertainty.
KashifN28959685
5 months ago
hi I already shorted gbp pairs. what is recommended here to hold these positions or close as I shorted gbpjpy at 152 and gbpusd at 1.458
Reply
QuantumLogicTrading KashifN28959685
5 months ago
Hi, its a 50/50 call here over the weekend as i mentioned in the previous post, the Bias in the polls was 7/10 towards bremain.. and looking how asia has responded - GU/GJ up 2%+ Nikkei up 2.5% and DJ up 1%, Gold down 1% it seems there is a clear RISK-ON bias.

However, UK Money COULD come in and think that at these levels GBP and risk is over priced, and start shorting. OR they will follow suit and we could see a 3-4% up day.

One other positive, is that volatility across the board is so high that 3% moves up and down shouldnt be considered unusual - the market expects to be up and down like a yoyo - the aim of the game IMO is to take the lowest risk positions by shorting at the tops, hence why i want to see what LONDON does with the information from over the weekend before i make a move.

152 and 1.46 arent bad prices to be short, but looking how the markets are trading, I personally wouldnt want to hold risk at these levels YET. GU is probably your safest position as the downside is 200 pips to 1.478 (breaks this level then SL).

What you could do is cut GJ and keep GU (the better short), so your exposure is halved.

GJ ATM is the most volatile pair with 23rd at 28% whilst GU is at 18% e.g. we expect 50% more volatility with GJ in the next 3 days than GU, so GU is the less risky hold BUT equally, higher volatility means GJ is more likely to fall also.

UJ still hasnt made a move yet and is still 40pip range bound, which tells me the market isnt fully committed - if UJ breaks north id cut the shorts as investors are clearly happy to hold more risk.

Ive given you all the information, I hope you can make a decision based on this, sorry i couldnt be more helpful.
Reply
QuantumLogicTrading KashifN28959685
5 months ago
UK money starts in 2-4 hours. 4 hours max we'll know what the market is doing. the good news for your positions is that the rally hasnt continued, there is significant resistance at 1.46 and 1.52 - BUT London is going to push it one way or the other. IMO we will be at 1.55 or 1.48 by the end of the day - itll be one extreme or the other, no flat trading.
Reply
Ideas Scripts Chart
United States
United Kingdom
India
España
Italia
Brasil
Россия
Türkiye
日本
한국
Home Stock Screener Economic Calendar How It Works Chart Features House Rules Moderators For the WEB Widgets Stock Charting Library Priority Support Feature Request Blog & News FAQ Help & Wiki Twitter
Private Messages Chat Ideas Published Followers Following Priority Support Public Profile Profile Settings Billing Sign Out