1. On the daily and NU currently Trades close/ at to its +2 standard deviation lines, these are highly resistive.
- Assuming NU trades mean reverting +2SD means there is a 95% chance of a price reversal/ 95% of all prices should be below the +2SD channel lines (e.g. NU highly likely lower from here).
-- And as you can see by the Yellow circle highlights NU has held this +/- 2SD discipline in the past so is highly likely to maintain these levels in the future.
2. Also NU trades significantly above its 60, 120, and 250 Moving Averages on 1h, 4h, 1D, 1wk - this also signals strong overbought prices, where selling has a higher probability of success.
3. NZD$ looks to have confirmed the 0.73 12 month high level as resistance - strong .
4. The strong 100k+ print beat from NFP last week imo didnt price much into NZD$ downside at the time, however given the reaction in the Fed Funds rates market, it may be pricing now as the market now implies a 25bps hike at 5.9% Sept/ Nov vs 0% prev, 22.5% Dec vs 18.5% prev - 50bps hike 1.1% vs 0% - also the probabilities of cuts all fell significantly across the curve.
5. Risks to the view continue to be a hawkish RBNZ - as we saw last week the short played well but was undermined at 0.70 when RBNZ speaker highlighted the HPI issue and inferred the cut may not happen in Aug as a result (Hence the recovery back to 0.73).
- The rate cut went from 80% to 50% on the back of these comments imo - now NZD CPI and employment readings in the coming 30 days serve as the determinant of their Aug decision, a flat or miss CPI print will likely mean the RBNZ will cut 25bps ( CPI is the no.1 target), so beyond the 0.73 level resistance we look for certain confirmation in the CPI reading, though it will be difficult to know what the market is thinking/ to get ahead of the market in the lead up, where the short was a giveaway before the RBNZ's new comments were on the table.
- Also on this point it is worth noting that given many of the worlds CBs have shifted to a dovish tone in light of the brexit vote (e.g. RBA BOE BOJ FOMC) this indirectly puts pressure on RBNZ to cut as Kiwi/ NZD will continue to appreciate causing disinflationairy pressures/ brakes to continue on the nzd economy, thus we also carry positive upside given the worlds policy positioning at the moment.
1. Sell @0.726 TP 0.702 SL 0.732 - More aggressive shorts may be added if confidence in a cut is higher - a cut will send NU down to 0.67 at least for example.
*Be sure to check the attached post "SELL NZDUSD @0.73 - TP 700PIPS: BREXIT, RBNZ, FED & USDJPY HEDGE" for NZDUSD short fundamentals*
Rate cut expectations now priced at 60% vs 40%... Also technically,
1. At 0.73 we have now built a TRIPLE top of resistance + confirmed the 12m highs
2. With the above article in mind.. the longer NZD$ stays at 0.73 (high levels) the MORE likely RBNZ will be to cut the OCR (interest rate) so it is almost a win win cant lose situation when NZDUSD looks like its going the other way - ITS PROBABLY NOT!