QuantumLogicTrading
Short

NZDUSD SHORT UPDATE: EYE RBNZ GOV G. WHEELER SPEECH CLOSELY!

FX:NZDUSD   New Zealand Dollar/U.S. Dollar
The Govenor of the RBNZ is speaking in 16 hours time - there could be significant up/ downside volatility in Kiwi - as we have seen after the past 3wks where the RBNZ have gone through the full hawk-dove cycle in their inferences/ rhetoric.

We had RBNZ Spencer's comments on house inflation back on the 7th of July which wrote off an RBNZ OCR cut - sending kiwi$ to 12m highs, then we had the RBNZ announce an Emergency economic assessment which was a dovish move - then the assessment itself was extremely dovish and reassured markets that the RBNZ would cut the OCR citing Kiwi strength/ persisting low inflation as the drivers, bringing us round circle and push kiwi to 0.69lows
.

RBNZ G Wheeler likely comments

1. IMO he is likely to discuss the marcoprudential policies the RBNZ can use to tame the house price inflation in NZD, in an attempt to assure markets that it isnt over looking the houseflation issues in NZD post their economic assesment which ssaid they would cut the OCR (which would potentially make the HPI             situation worse) - discussing or implementing new restrictive Macropru would be hawkish but likely over seen by the OCR cut.

2. IMO Wheeler will reiterate findings from the economic assesment e.g. high NZD price, low inflation and the need to cut the OCR - this will be heavily dovish and should send kiwi$ to the 0.6900 level if not towards 0.6800 if he really emphasised the inevitability of the OCR cut in August.

Risks to the view:

1. Obvious risk to this view is 1) Wheeler back tracks on the economic assessment, follows Spencers tune from July 7th and undermines the need to cut the OCR - either in itself or as a function of the HPI             situation.

- Any inferences that the RBNZ/ Gov             Wheeler IS NOT backing the cut/ economic assesment findings and kiwi will likely bounce to 0.72 immediately, and back to the 0.73 highs within the week.

- there is still 2wks until their rate decision/ meeting on the 10th of August so there is still room for Wheeler to talk hawkish/ throw another spanner in the work before actually making the decision.

Trading Strategy:

1. As above - any hawkish sentiment that moves us higher/ rallies kiwi I will sell into as i believe fundamentally the RBNZ has called its hand and anything between now and the 10th is noise - its best to wait for the information to full price e.g. to 0.72 but if momentum slowed near 0.71 I will sell there.

- I dont have any interest buying any hawkishness or selling any dovishness at these levels - I will only sell 0.71+ pull backs as i think the rate cut is imminent and any hawkishness is just the RBNZ trying to keep the markets on its toes

- Technically we are seeing some downside deviation + MA support - with kiwi$ trading on its 3m             -2SD channel line and 3m             Moving Average line, this looks supportive, with kiwi$ posting a green day once it hit hit these two techncials (as you can see highlighted in red) - this could continue to support a hawkish bounce, which is good for re-shorts.

Eyes on the comments closely!

*Any questions please let me know - I will be providing RBNZ Gov             Wheeler Highlights ASAP*
SteynTrade
4 months ago
Thank you for your hard work this approach helps to give context.
Reply
QuantumLogicTrading SteynTrade
4 months ago
Its my pleasure - thank you for your kind words.
Reply
Ideas Scripts Chart
United States
United Kingdom
India
España
Italia
Brasil
Россия
Türkiye
日本
한국
Home Stock Screener Economic Calendar How It Works Chart Features House Rules Moderators For the WEB Widgets Stock Charting Library Priority Support Feature Request Blog & News FAQ Help & Wiki Twitter
Private Messages Chat Ideas Published Followers Following Priority Support Public Profile Profile Settings Billing Sign Out