gb50k

Fed rate hike vs. SPY price - relationship? YES!

AMEX:SPY   SPDR S&P 500
38 2 2
the chart establishes a STRONG relationship between the probability of a 0.5 rate hike, taken from Fed-futures data, and the price of SPY             .

chart:


The chart shows the fed-futures data on top (inverted) and SPY             on the bottom. The scale on top goes from 0 to 100 at the bottom....current future price is 99.83, 24 hours before FOMC announcement.

The issue is that the fed data is on an exponential scale (up to 100).... so a change from 40 to 70 and a change from 99.8 to 99.9 both mean "the probability has doubled".

Regardless of scale, the chart supports the following conclusion:

1) the probability of a hike to 0.5 has a LARGE effect on SPY             .
The chart supports that.

2) current future price is 99.83 translates to the probability 23% (of a hike to 0.5). Thats priced in.

3) if the probability changes to 100%, (the fed hikes) and the relationship in the chart holds, SPY             will IMMEDIATLY fall... "a lot".... "far"... "the red candle wont fit your laptop".

It may bounce, rebound, retrace....all that good stuff. But it will fall immediately.... independent of what happens later.

so, 23% chance of a LARGE and IMMEDIATE drop. 77% of ???, possibly a smaller but significant pop?

comments welcome.
found the data on TV!
snapshot
Reply
chart: https://www.dropbox.com/s/czfa462lswef6f9/ratehike.jpg?dl=0
Reply
EN English
EN English (UK)
EN English (IN)
DE Deutsch
FR Français
ES Español
IT Italiano
PL Polski
TR Türkçe
RU Русский
PT Português
ID Bahasa Indonesia
MS Bahasa Melayu
TH ภาษาไทย
VI Tiếng Việt
JA 日本語
KO 한국어
ZH 简体中文
ZH 繁體中文
Home Stock Screener Forex Signal Finder Cryptocurrency Signal Finder Economic Calendar How It Works Chart Features House Rules Moderators Website & Broker Solutions Widgets Stock Charting Library Feature Request Blog & News FAQ Help & Wiki Twitter
Profile Profile Settings Account and Billing My Support Tickets Contact Support Ideas Published Followers Following Private Messages Chat Sign Out