Some time ago, I went X short straddle (Dec 18 11/11 short straddle) post-earnings, expecting volatility to collapse and to get out of the position at 25% max profit in fairly short order.

I still have a couple of weeks until expiration, but my hopes aren't high that price will retrace to 10 or 11 at this point, such that I will be able to get out of straddle at profit or, at this point, for scratch. Consequently, I'm going to close out the short straddle set up now at a $74 loss.

I am then going to strike while the iron is hot (price is low; volatility high) and move to set up a covered call in order to mitigate my loss on the short put side and hopefully to turn a net modest profit when all is said and done.

Here's the covered call setup:

100 Shares X
Jan 15 9 short call
7.39 debit
Max Profit: $161 (if called away at $9 per share)

If price is >$9 at expiry, my 100 shares are called away, and I'm out for $161 profit/contract (which will offset the loss incurred on the short straddle of $74 ... ).

If price is <$9 at expiry, I keep the credit for the short call, and continue to sell short calls against the position, further reducing my cost basis in the stock.
Comment: So I originally did this as a covered call using the 9 short call, which I hastily rolled down to Feb 19th 8 short strike for an additional .54 credit. Regretting that decision given the fact that price quickly broke $8, I rolled the short call strike up and out to the July 15th 9 sort call, which was filled today for a .43 credit, further reducing my cost basis in my 100 shares. Of course, price back below $8 today, but I'm not going to putz with it further unless it rockets through $9 (my current cost basis in the 100 shares is $621, so I wouldn't mind being called away at $9 at this point). We'll just see how things go.
Comment: Like my CNX covered call, this is working out nicely in the short term. My original intent was to just cover my short straddle loss of $74, but I think I'm going to hang onto it for a while and see how it goes. Price is at the edge of breaking my July 9 short call, but that is so far out in time that I can barely do anything with it ... .
Unfortunately, I probably got a bit more aggressive than I should have with that first roll, as price has quickly broken $8, the price of my short call strike. Given the amount of buying power devoted to the trade, I'm more than willing to hang in there a bit longer than usual and am going to roll that Feb 19 8 short call out to the July 15th 9 short call for an additional .52 in credit.
Rolling the short call down to the Feb 19th 8 short call for an additional .54 credit, further reducing my cost basis in the underlying.
EN English
EN English (UK)
EN English (IN)
DE Deutsch
FR Français
ES Español
IT Italiano
PL Polski
SV Svenska
TR Türkçe
RU Русский
PT Português
ID Bahasa Indonesia
MS Bahasa Melayu
TH ภาษาไทย
VI Tiếng Việt
JA 日本語
KO 한국어
ZH 简体中文
ZH 繁體中文
AR العربية
Home Stock Screener Forex Signal Finder Cryptocurrency Signal Finder Economic Calendar How It Works Chart Features House Rules Moderators Website & Broker Solutions Widgets Stock Charting Library Feature Request Blog & News FAQ Help & Wiki Twitter
Profile Profile Settings Account and Billing My Support Tickets Contact Support Ideas Published Followers Following Private Messages Chat Sign Out