It’s proved - they do work!
1. Always work in the direction of the dominant trend
2. Find the strategy where you are most successful, namely the one that gives the minimum account drawdown
3. Reduce the number and size of transactions in case of losses, and vice versa
4. The main rule of profitable trading is control over losses
5. Plan ahead
6. At any time, assume that your plan is not working
7. Everything that happened is history. Focus on the future
8. Success in this business requires incredible concentration and mental costs. Learn to relax
9. Never allow your winning attitude to became unprofitable
10. If you have done something wrong, immediately close the position
11. If you do not see the possibilities – do not trade
12. Do not be a hero. Do not think that you know more than the market. Work with confidence, but always doubt yourself
13. Never overtrade
14. Do not take risks before and immediately after the release of important economic data. This is not the trading but the gambling
15. Avoid emotions
16. Use not just a price stop, but a time stop. If you are waiting for a breakthrough of the market, and it did not happen, close the position, even if it is in profit.
To repeat the results in real trading you are to do exactly the same you've done on backtesting. The only thing you are to bother is executing trades as similar to the way you executed them on backtesting as possible. If you have done backtesting, you know that a loss trade doesn't mean a mistake. Trades can be wins or losses. It's trading. If you think that you loose because you are doing mistakes it only means that you don't have a tested trading plan. Traders who did backtesting don't revise rules even if they have 10 losses in a row. If trader has doubts about reliability of some rules in his trading plan he will do backtesting and see if they are reliable or not. But when backtesting is over no changes in rules are possible. IMHO.