NaughtyPines

TRADE IDEA: AMD COVERED CALL/NAKED SHORT PUT

NASDAQ:AMD   ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES INC
3 months ago
My "guess" is that AMD             will not hold onto this level (I briefly considered going "monied" with the short call with the covered call setup, selling the 7 strike instead of the 8). However. implied volatility is fairly high here (64.6%), and my mechanical approach to most of these setups is basically to "ditch the guessing" and pull the trigger; price will go where it goes ... .

Covered Call Metrics:

Buy 100 Shares at 7.51
Sell Oct             21st 8 Call
Whole Package: 6.93 db             (off hours; 6.93 will be my cost basis in the stock )
Max Profit: $107 (if called away at 8)
ROC%: 15.4%

Notes: As an alternative, I looked at selling a put in the Oct             21st expiry below current price. The Oct             21st 7 short put, for example, currently offers up .54 ($54) in premium at the mid. The notion there would either be to (a) keep the premium if AMD             finishes above $7 at expiry; (b) look to be put the stock at $7 if it doesn't; or (c) roll the short put down and out for additional credit if price breaks $7. Anything below the $7 strike in the Oct             21st expiry won't offer you much premium at the moment (e.g., the 6 strike offers .25 at the mid, which approaches "not worth it"). At NY open, I'll probably just "flip a coin" as to whether I go with the naked put or the covered call.
3 months ago
Comment: Went covered call, which I got filled for 7.00. So max profit (assuming a call away at $8) is $100 (14.3% ROC).
3 months ago
Comment: Proceeded to drop a bit post-fill. I assume that if I went "monied" with the short call, price would've immediately popped ... .
3 months ago
Comment: Yikes. Apparently investors didn't like the stock offering idea very much. My cost basis is at $7.00/share. I will wait until the 8 call approaches worthless (.05), close it out, and then proceed to sell 7 calls against to reduce my cost basis further.
2 months ago
Comment: With the short call sticking around .07-.08 for days (near, but not quite worthless), I rolled it down and out to the Nov 18th 7 short call for an additional .37 ($37)/contract credit, locking in the profit experienced by the short call's reduction in value and further reducing my cost basis in my shares.
a month ago
Trade closed manually: Covering here for a small profit ($15 per 100 shares/contract) on this pop. Freeing up buying power.
a month ago
Comment: Here's the whole chain: 9/6: Bought shares at 7.61 and sold the Oct 21st 8 call as a package for a $700 debit. 9/30: Rolled the Oct 21st 8 calls down to the Nov 18th 7 calls for a $37 credit. 10/26: Closing for a $681 credit. Total credits received ($681+$37) - total debits paid ($700) - minus fees = $15 in profit. Here, price actually declined from where I bought shares, and I still didn't lose money. While I could have hung on until Nov 18th expiry (the setup was in-the-money), I wanted to free up buying power for my more traditional go-to setups in broad market/sector ETF's.
Ideas Scripts Chart
United States
United Kingdom
India
España
Italia
Brasil
Россия
Türkiye
日本
한국
Home Stock Screener Economic Calendar How It Works Chart Features House Rules Moderators For the WEB Widgets Stock Charting Library Priority Support Feature Request Blog & News FAQ Help & Wiki Twitter
Private Messages Chat Ideas Published Followers Following Priority Support Public Profile Profile Settings Billing Sign Out