An interesting game of tug and war

BINANCE:ETHUSDT   Ethereum / TetherUS
Given Bitcoins current volatility and close pegging to Ethereum , all setups mentioned in this post should be taken with a massive grain of salt.

Very basic analysis shows that a temporary bottom of $640 has been achieved in the form of a bullish hammer . The reason why I consider this to be temporary is because no successive candle has been able to follow up with a higher high to confirm this bullish reversal. Instead momentum has since stalled, proven by a decline in volume on both sides. This has led prices to be contained within a bearish pennant which is due to apex and break later on today. Given the current market sentiment surrounding crypto as well as the reliability behind the chart pattern itself, it is highly likely we will see a break to the downside however to remain unbiased I will mention a bullish alternative for all those considering going long.

To be fair without going into too much detail with elliott wave theory etc. finding a potential bullish setup has been somewhat difficult. I have however been able to locate some hidden bullish divergence on the daily time-frame which should it hold true may prove to invalidate the bearish pennant that currently exists. Ethereum has also retraced slightly more than .618 % of its run from 12/11/2017 to 10/01/2018 placing it nicely in the golden pocket just beneath this fibonacci ratio making it a possible bounce zone. This theory also coincides with strong support in this region further emphasizing how important it is to hold.

Regardless of the scenario, OBV is close to bottoming out suggesting a big move in either direction will happen very soon. Until then I will remain neutral as Ethereum is one of those coins that has recently been playing to the tune of bitcoin . A break of the pennant in either direction would have to be confirmed with a second candle with more volume than the first as to avoid any potential bull/bear traps.

If I had to guess I would say a break to the downside is more likely, however as with anything crypto related there are no guarantees.

In the meantime play safe and wait for confirmation before making a move.

Home Stock Screener Forex Screener Crypto Screener Economic Calendar Shows How It Works Chart Features Pricing House Rules Moderators Website & Broker Solutions Widgets Charting Solutions Lightweight Charting Library Help Center Refer a friend Feature Request Blog & News FAQ Wiki Twitter
Profile Profile Settings Account and Billing Refer a friend My Support Tickets Help Center Ideas Published Followers Following Private Messages Chat Sign Out