FX:GBPUSD   British Pound / U.S. Dollar
Reuters Analyst Expectations:



- The Fed is very unlikely to spring any surprises at the upcoming FOMC meeting, which concludes next Wednesday 27th July, but a September rate hike is a distinct possibility. The statement next week should acknowledge the apparent pick-up in second-quarter GDP growth, particularly the recent strength of consumption, and also the rebound in employment growth in June. The Fed won't commit itself to a September rate hike at the July meeting, however, hints will be eyed closely.

- Currently the 30 day federal funds rate option implied probability is consistant with the increasing chances of a September/ Novemeber hike view as the probability continues to increase to new post brexit highs e.g. 25bps FOMC hike probability for Sept/ Nov/ Dec increased to 24.6%, 25.7%, 41.6% from 18.8%, 20.2% and 39.5% yesterday. With Dec now pricing 2 hikes at 9.1% up from 7.1% - as risk markets continue to set new highs increasing confidence.



- BoE Seen Restarting QE In August, Top Up With GBP80Bln adding to GBP375bn
- Median 60% Chance Of UK Recession In The Coming Year
- UK Economy Seen Growing 1.4% In 2016, 0.6% In 2017 (Prev Seen 1.9%, 2.1%)

- Short Sterling constant 3m             Libor Option Implied cut probabilities remained flat on the day at 30% chance of a 25bps cut - however risk markets rally buoy hawkish expectations though this is fundamentally expected to impact the BOE decision since markets are rallying as a function of the BOE cutting (its a loop that the BOE will be aware of).


1. ECB not seen to cut rates but some analysts think there may be an extension to the maturity of ECB's APP e.g. further into 2017, though the purchase amounts is not expected to change at EUR80bln a month - nonetheless a 3m             extension is an extra EUR240bn and a 6m is EUR480bn, so such an announcement on Thursday would certainly continue to fuel the rally in risk markets.

2. BOJ - there is less consensus on the BOJ meeting on the 28th, though the forecasts seem to sit between a 10-20bps cut to the key rate + an extension to the ETF purchases (Maturity and monthly purchase amounts) + an extension to the JGB purchases (maturity and monthly purchase amounts) - a BOJ surprise to the upside would undoubtably enable risk markets to continue to rally, though if it goes the other way (Kuroda underdelivers) this could be the impetus to stop the risk rally in its tracks.

Trading Strategy:

1. Short GBPUSD             on Pullbacks to 1.33/4 (if we see any now - unlikely but possible if retail sales outperform and the market prices the strong CPI/Employment at the same time) - 1.305TP1 1.285TP2 1.25xxTP3.

- I posted this trade a few days ago when the short price was favourable - at these levels i DO NOT advise shorting. 1.33 is the minimum entry - I just posted this as a short confirmation/ central bank watch post.

2. The above supports the short GBPUSD             play as 1) Easing from ECB/ BOJ puts pressure on the BOE to ease (as the GBP appreciates against the JPY/ EUR in this situation which is deflationairy) thus BOJ/ ECB easing increases the already consensus view that the BOE will ease - a BOE easing of 25bps cut and 80bn extension to the QE would certainly move us through 1.25. Infact I believe the 25bps cut alone is enough to do that. If BOE delivers £80bn in QE then that will move GBP even lower to perhaps 1.20/23.

- Further, on the FOMC stance, a more hawkish FED strengthens the long dollar leg of the short GBPUSD             which compounds the momentum that GBPUSD             can move lower as we move towards two drivers vs just the one with the BOE easing. We now have BOE easing potential combined with ever increasing FOMC hike expectations fuelling USD demand which in turn/ combined will send GBP$ lower faster.
Comment: The GBPUSD short view - Recent GBP data?

- Also worth nothing that the beat CPI and Unemployment prints did surprise me that they didnt take GBPUSD much higher (expected 1.33) - though the prints did likely stall the downside momentum that had started yesterday as we began to move into the 1.30xx and likely through the 1.30.

- Retail sales tomorrow holds another risk, if higher, all in all it could push GU to that 1.33 level but its unlikely given CPI and unemployment couldnt.

- Though it could be the magic of "3" outperformers in a row that materialises the upside, for that we will have to see.

- Obviously I am rooting for poor retail sales so that GBP doesnt have any more excuses to trade higher.

- These prints are particularly important since it was said that the BOE would consider the UK's performance post brexit into their rate decision/ as a key indicator - so hopefully this hasn't skewed the cut probability to the downside too much for the august meeting.
Maybe shorting it after tomorrow. I think the forecast for retail sale is too low (-0.6%).
yh like i said, if retail sales surprise to the upside we could see a cascaded rally to 1.33/4 but its unlikely. I personally wont sell anything less than 1.33 even though i expect to see 1.28 again even before the BOE decision...
but yh for sure.. fi it gets to 1.33 or higher go for it, really high chances of easing on august 4th
EN English
EN English (UK)
EN English (IN)
DE Deutsch
FR Français
ES Español
IT Italiano
PL Polski
SV Svenska
TR Türkçe
RU Русский
PT Português
ID Bahasa Indonesia
MS Bahasa Melayu
TH ภาษาไทย
VI Tiếng Việt
JA 日本語
KO 한국어
ZH 简体中文
ZH 繁體中文
AR العربية
Home Stock Screener Forex Signal Finder Cryptocurrency Signal Finder Economic Calendar How It Works Chart Features House Rules Moderators Website & Broker Solutions Widgets Stock Charting Library Feature Request Blog & News FAQ Help & Wiki Twitter
Profile Profile Settings Account and Billing My Support Tickets Contact Support Ideas Published Followers Following Private Messages Chat Sign Out